Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Seeking God's will for your life. Part One.


"No one who wants to swim well should stay in the kiddie pool. No one who wants to change the world should shy away from risk."


Kathy Schwanke posted this on facebook today and thought it was cute. The kiddie pool is fun, don't you think? If you stay in any one place for too long, though, there is bound to be trouble. Every mom of little kids knows that. :)

The clear solution when life gets boring is to get out of the kiddie pool. There are oceans to explore. The ocean would provide excitement, new scenery, and new challenges that can satisfy a person's need for "something more." Once out of the kiddie pool, there are all kinds of marvelous adventures that await you. Get out of your inflatable thing, and go get yourself some scuba gear. See what exciting things God has for you when you take the risk of doing something beyond yourself. BE A WORLD CHANGER! Who doesn't want to be a world changer? But, wait...
Proverbs 11:28 (The Message) "A life devoted to things is a dead life, a stump; a God-shaped life is a flourishing tree."
Where are you at today? I'm in a really messy basement in front of a computer. Sounds glamorous, right? Is this my ocean? Probably not. I view this as more like my training ground. I can go find scuba gear and run out into the ocean, but if I have not sought out instruction before I run in, I'm going to be in trouble. I'm probably going to come out gasping for air and asking, "What the heck!? I don't know why anyone likes THAT! That stunk! I'm done!" It would be wise for me to find someone who has gone before me and who can tell me some of the things to expect. It would be smart to take someone with me and ask questions as I go. I should get my stuff together. I should buy some sunblock and what not. I seem to be in a "preparing" phase right now. It's not always fun. It's not usually glamorous. I feel like God is saying, "Stay here just a little longer, because I've got some things I need to work out still." Changing the world sounds like way more fun, but I've got meals to plan and diapers to change. :) I see this as my season of leaning in on what God is telling me, seeking Him, loving Him, learning how He loves me, all the while trusting that He has plans for me that I have not seen yet. There are (and will be) bumps in the road, along the way, but I will stay focused. God is not done with me yet, and His grace covers quite a lot in my life.
Ecclesiastes 3:1, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven."
WHAT IS GOD CALLING YOU TO?
The tasks God places on your heart are specific to you, and when you tap into them, you will find fulfillment. Some things He places on your heart to start immediately. You get this feeling of, "I better go do this...NOW!" Your heart starts pounding, and you get this idea that it's now or never. Some things He is preparing in your heart, but has some refining work to do before you will see the big picture. You get this feeling of, "Hmmm...I could see how God could do that," followed by "signs" that what you are thinking is right on. He knows what makes you tick. He knows what gets you in a tizzy. He made you, so He takes these things into consideration. He loves you and wants good things for you. His will for you is your best-case scenario. He also loves you so much that he does not want you to stay in the kiddie pool when there is an ocean to explore. The truth is, He loves ALL of His people, so He would LOVE for you to get off of your inflatable (or couch) and go reach out to some of His people. For people like me, though, it might be good to know that you can sit on it a few minutes and seek God's direction before you just plunge ahead. :) (More on that in Part Two.) What would your ocean look like?

No comments: