Sunday, April 3, 2011

Being transformed into someone who says, "God is God". Part Two.

This is a continuation from the post before it: Being transformed into someone who Says, "God is God". Part One.

After I was done with my Oprah phase, I upgraded to Dr. Phil. Scott would come home and I was be quoting Dr. Phil. "Well, you know what Dr. Phil would say..." Again, my husband's eyes would glaze over. :) My husband would kindly listen while I carried on, but he really did not put a lot of weight into what Oprah or Dr. Phil thought about things. He is a smart guy.

Now, I quote Susie Larson. He pays attention when I talk about Susie Larson. His eyes don't roll to the back of his head when I quote Susie Larson. Do you know why? He has learned from the past that the things I quote from Susie Larson are biblical and sound. We have learned to trust Susie as someone who carries God's word in lives. She has become a spiritual mentor to me and my husband respects that.

Proverbs 27:17 says, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."


Yesterday I (re)listened to one of Susie Larson's interviews that I had listened to months ago. "HOLY COW! THAT is where I learned that!" Over and over and over again, throughout the interview, I realized that my thinking had really been changed a lot by that one particular interview I had chosen to listen months ago. I remembered the first time I heard it. I was thinking that all of the information was brand new to me and I was so impressed by the rich wisdom that was being shared. This time, though, I was impressed by something else. I was impressed that I already knew all the information. I was in agreement with everything in the interview. :) It had really sunk in, and REALLY stuck with me! Thank you Lord.

WE have got to be careful who we listen to, don't we? We must listen to everyone with a discerning ear. Be aware of who you are allowing to influence you. You are more susceptible to persuasion than you realize. Surround yourself with people who fear God, so that when you are vulnerable with them you can be steered in a direction that honors God and redirects your focus back onto him.

Go to church, for crying out loud. :) hahaha...I just had to throw that one in there. Seriously, once a week...at least. Go. Get up on Sunday morning and go. Read your Bible, for crying out loud. Be changed by the living word.

How is this message comforting, you ask? Good question. It kind of sounds legalistic. It's not though. This is for your own good! Take comfort in knowing that as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. As you surround yourself with other believers and you make a habit of going to church, and reading your Bible, and listening to songs that inspire your faith, you will be changed for the better! Your spiritual awareness will be sharpened. It will be subtle at times, and you won't even know where you got your information at times. A radical thought will hit you and you'll surprise yourself. You'll say, "Wow! Where did I get that from?" You'll share the thought and other people will say, "Wow! Where did she get that from?" Just do it. You'll see. God's word has been passed down for generations upon generations. It's nothing new, but when it hits you personally it possesses new life again.

Romans 12:2, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will."


The more you listen to people who don't know what they are talking about, the more confused you will be. :) That makes sense right? You know what I realized when I started blogging? I realized that I knew more than I thought I knew. I mean, check this out. I start writing and, as I write, a verse pops into my head from my memory. I don't even have to open the Bible to find a verse sometimes now. Sometimes it is just right there in my head! For someone with a terrible memory, (that would be me) this is a very big deal. :) Sometimes, I am writing and I'm reminded of an AWESOME song that really drives home a point that God is trying to tell me. I find the song, and I think to myself, "Wow! I am so glad I already knew that song existed". :) The more you pull from the Bible and from God-fearing people, the more those things shape you into someone who is confident in the Lord so you can boldly say, "God is God".

Okay, it's Sunday morning. Where are you going to go to church today? :)

No comments: